Thursday 27 October 2011

10/28 Rice Blogger

     
    Rice Blogger    
   
512mb VPS Hosting
October 27, 2011 at 6:28 AM
 


Kids, don’t do this at home!

Actually it was not quite a simple task for me to move one of my semi-dedicated hosting to a VPS hosting in two weeks. But to reduce my web hosting cost, I had to go VPS and it also allow me to learn more. Plus I am working as a application system administrator, how can I fail in setting up my own server right?

The main hurdle was that my server keeps going down initially and that was very painful as I am restarting my server from my Nokia E72 or my iPad 2 or via my Laptop at different times. Everytime it goes down I had problem connecting to my server or it is way too slow. Lucky I manage to get some sypmtoms and the default Apache and MySQL setting is actually not suitable at all for server of this size.

Fine tuning the httpd.conf and my.cnf for more than twenty times and finally it has been stable. Although there are times it is using swap memory but I am reluctant to go any more lower. The normal memory usage is only around 225 MB which I think is great.

Next step is to do backup. I have done mysql backup daily to be transfered to another server but filesystem I am still doing it manually from time to time.

Visit my Malaysia Classifieds and let me know what you think of the speed. It is pretty good compare to previous hosting in US, currently it resides in a VPS at AIMS datacenter.


Copyright © 2009
This feed is for personal, non-commercial use only.
The use of this feed on other websites breaches copyright. If this content is not in your news reader, it makes the page you are viewing an infringement of the copyright. (Digital Fingerprint:
)
   
     
 
This email was sent to putitshere@gmail.com.
Delivered by Feed My Inbox
PO Box 682532 Franklin, TN 37068
Create Account
Unsubscribe Here Feed My Inbox
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment